Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart... Jeremiah 1:5

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Being Thankful

Today has honestly been kind of a blah day.  Ever had one of those?  One that if you choose to let it can really be tough for not only yourself but also those around you.  Unfortunately, for me, and for my family, I let it get to me.  It seems that as soon as you start to work on some things on the "inside" of you-aka your heart, your mind, your will, your emotions-that is when things seem to really come at you.  A friend told me today that sometimes she thinks it would be easier to live life without her head attached, that so much of life's battles are fought in her minds.  And I couldn't agree more.  Sometimes conquering those negative thoughts takes so much work that by the end of the day I am for sure I ran a marathhon, or better yet did a triathalon.  But not one of those small ones-no, I am talking about an ironman-the whole long swim, 100+ mile bike ride, and marathon run.
However, I am battling these negative thoughts with something stronger.  Thankfulness.  And so, now that both of my girls are asleep and I have pandora on in the background I want to share some of things that I am thankful for.
I am thankful that the Lord loves me more than anything.  Loves me even with all my quirks and bad attitude sometimes.  That He takes care of me even when I don't know how to take care of myself.  That right when I need it He brings a word, a person, or even a strange encounter to show how much He cares.
I am thankful that I have a family that tells me to pursue my dreams.  That I have a husband that will stay at home with the girls so that I can be involved in different ministries at church.  And he never makes me feel guilty about going out with friends or that the laundry has stayed in the same baskets upstairs for over a week. (Don't look down on me-you know you have done it too.)
I am thankful that I have TRUE friends that the Lord has placed specifically in my life to show me different perspectives and to show me that sometimes being fun and goofy is okay and that I don't always have to have it all together.  That sometimes true friendship isn't found in the sound of our voices but rather the comfort in the silence.
I am thankful that  I have a beautiful home to live in that has opportunity to be decorated and keeps my family and I warm and sheltered.  I am thankful that it is in a neighborhood that I feel safe keeping the garage door open and can go for a walk without thought. (You have been in those neighborhoods that are the opposite-the ones that have about ten "Beware of Dog" signs-as you hear a yorkie or pomeranian barking in the house)
I am thankful that I go to a church that not only preaches the Word but has pastors that are real and are really trying to be the Word.
I am thankful that I live in a nation that gives me the opportunity to allow my voice to be heard in a vote.  That I live a city that is full of great doctors, hospitals, and clinics.  That God directs my path to people that can help me grow, that want only the best for me, and that have a specific purpose in my life.
These are only a handful of things I am thankful for but already I am feeling more positive and upbeat about life in general.  Too bad it took until 9 PM to get there but it feels good to again be thinking of how good life is.  Hopefully, if you too are having a bad night, day, week, or year you can think of all the good things the Lord has done for you and win that battle in your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment